“… for the tongue to say everything that the head will think of…”
The ability to use the language allows you to acquire knowledge about the world and express your thoughts, intentions, beliefs. Through the language, the child interprets, categorises and evaluates phenomena occurring in his environment. Disorders in speech development affect the overall functioning of the speech, so it is important to detect them early and to take up appropriate therapeutic interventions.
The purpose of speech therapy is to eliminate any disturbances and abnormalities in the development of speech of the child (ie speech defects, speech impediment), develop language and communication skills, stimulate speech development and compensate it’s delays. Other areas of the child’s functioning that are inherent in speech and communication are also being improved. The choice of methods used during classes is usually conditioned by the type of disorder, and the activities undertaken are always tailored to the individual’s psychosocial aptitudes and abilities.
Speech therapy and corrective gymnastics
Speech therapy classes are designed to eliminate speech defects and to practice phonemic hearing. Students broaden their vocabulary, learn beautiful expressions. Thanks to these activities children have the opportunity to equalize educational opportunities. Students are encouraged to participate in corrective gymnastics classes. During classes they gain the skills and knowledge to prevent and correct posture defects, and also to shape the habit of correct body posture needed throughout the whole life.
In the speech therapy classes, the kindergarten students (also the youngest ones from the age of 3) participate as well as the pupils of the elementary school. It should be borne in mind that speech therapy taken at a younger age usually results in faster outcomes and helps prevent unwanted speech impediments in the future. Its effectiveness is also inherent in the systematic exercise at home. Recommended by the speech therapist and conducted on the basis of transmitted materials.
The school offers speech therapy sessions conducted during school hours, without the involvement of parents' time and effort.At the beginning of the school year in September, free speech therapy classes there are conducted free of charge speech diagnosis , on the basis of which we qualify students for speech therapy. Participation in these activities is paid and voluntary.
Standards of speech therapy at Open Future International School:
- Classes are held individually, once a week (unless there are other recommendations ).
- The duration of the classes is 45 minutes and the cost is 50 PLN.
- Each child who is qualified for speech therapy classes is must have provided by parents briefcase (before the first class starts) in which child will be carrying homework. Speech therapist may also ask parents to set up a notebook for their child, about which will inform via e-mail.
- Electronic correspondence with parents is provided exclusively through the school system – MyOpenFuture.
- Speech therapist systematically complements the register of activities that parents may also have access to (if they so request).
- Speech therapist passes on a homework assignment every week (unless there are other indications).
- Speech therapist informs parents about the course and childs’ achievements in the two summary emails – mid-term and end-of-year.
- Each speech therapist has a weekly duty. Parents who want to meet up with therapist must sign up on the list, which is displayed on the notice board with one week in advance, or make an appointment via e-mail.
Speech therapy classes are conducted by experienced and qualified speech therapists:
- Katarzyna Orwat
- Anna Kutrzeba
- Paulina Skwara